Recently I moved from one residence to another and was required to drop my DSL internet provider for a Cable internet provider. As a result I was on the hunt for a cable modem and wireless router. Immediately, what I had in mind, was an all-in-one unit with both capabilities; however, not really being too up on what was out there I was not even sure such a beast existed. I did know, from my past experience, and you have heard me say it before, “if you can think of it, someone has done it”.
What I found and settled for was the Motorola SBG901 All-In-One integrated SURFboard Gateway with built in advanced wireless networking and security capabilities.
Motorola’s SBG901 SURFboard Wireless Cable Modem Gateway is the perfect networking solution for the home, home office, or small business. It combines an industry-leading DOCSIS® 2.0 cable modem, an advanced firewall, and an 802.11b/g wireless access point – all in a stylish enclosure for the sophisticated consumer. The SBG901 allows users to create a custom LAN to share a single broadband connection, files, printers, and peripherals without wires.
The SBG901, after being recognized by the cable provider network,, worked right out of the box. I was on the internet in no time.
The unit is packaged with an installation CD, but (again from past experience) I opted to ditch the Installation Assistant CD. The CD contains an installation wizard and wireless security setup. Really, I found neither was required. The SBG901 was already setup for wireless networking connectivity with WPA encryption (wifi protected access) enabled. In other words, the SBG901 was seen by my Netbook; and all was required was for me to enter the already assigned WPA encryption key on the Netbook side. One thing I did do right away was log into the SBG901’s Configuration manager in my web browser and change the default username and password to further enhance the security of my network. Finding this information can be a challenge for the everyday user. To accomplish this change:
- Open your web browser and type 192.168.0.1 and hit “Enter”
- Type “admin” in lowercase in the username field.
- Type “motorola” in lowercase in the password field.
- Click on the “Security” button at the left side of the Configuration Manager and make the necessary changes. Make sure you keep these changes in a safe place.
Overall, I am finding the SBG901 to be a very nice unit that takes up very little space on the desktop. The unit is 5 3/4 “ x 5”. The unit can be either stood up, placed flat or wall mounted. I am also very pleased with the range of the wireless connectivity, which has worked flawlessly within any area of my home.
Easy to setup and use:
- Always on, always connected and always ready
- Includes an Installation Assistant CD, Wireless security set up, an optional user-friendly installation wizard, and multi-lingual product documents
- Easy connection, wireless pairing button
- Plug-and-play installation
- Supports standard internet software
- Front panel LEDs indicate status and simplify troubleshooting
- Stylish and space saving enclosure
- The mobility of a wireless LAN and the simplicity of “no new wire” technology
- Two diverse internal antennas to enhance wireless connectivity
Versatile and Convenient:
- DOCSIS® 2.0 certified
- Interoperable with DOCSIS® 1.1
- One 10/100 Ethernet (RJ-45) port and auto MDX cross cable detection, enables flexible, high-speed connectivity
- Integrated 802.11b/g wireless access point
- Support for up to 16 Service IDs (SIDs) allows for future enhanced features
- Compatible with Windows®, Macintosh® and Unix® computers
- Extensible networking: Your customer can network up to 263 desktop computers, laptops and other Ethernet or wireless devices to create a full Class C network
- Enterprise-capable: Supports VPN pass-through (IPSec, PPTP, L2TP)
Reliable and Secure:
- Remote configuration and monitoring from the headend using SNMP and TFTP
- Intuitive, built-in Web-based diagnostics for quick and easy troubleshooting
- Manage data and wireless networking using a Web-based interface
- Security features including Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS)
- Access and Legacy 64-bit and 128-bit Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) encryption
- Advanced router with built-in firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection, intrusion detection and Denial of Service attack prevention
ADDENDUM (WHERE TO BUY?): Due to the popularity of this article, many folks have asked where can they get the Motorola SBG901 All-In-One integrated SURFboard Gateway and the answer is [ HERE ] .