Appears in today’s world of computing we are definitely moving away from the desktop form of computing to the more mobile form of computing, such as tablets and smartphones. In the end, no matter which direction we go, we still need to use the computer, whether it be in the form of desktop or tablet, to get our work done.
Working on a Microsoft Word, Excel or Powerpoint file on a tablet vs. a desktop can be a real challenge. As we continue to move toward the tablet form of computing I am seeing more and more applications that are trying to emulate the desktop experience of using Word, Excel or Powerpoint on the tablet. As a matter of fact, I have many of these types of apps installed on my tablet and really in the end I am not using them to edit or create documents; instead, I use them more or less as a document viewers.
This past week I happened across another Android and iPad app, called CloudOn that really looks promising and is very close to emulating the desktop when it comes to creating, reviewing and editing your Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint files. Not only that, CloudOn can connect directly to your Box, Dropbox, Google Drive and SkyDrive Accounts; AND, the real topper is that CloudOn’s file viewer can view virtually any type of file (including PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.).
So far, what I am experiencing, is a pretty darn good app that seems to have the right fine tuning in place for working with my Microsoft Office files; PLUS, CloudOn with its’ powerful viewing capabilities will replace many of the separate apps I have installed for those purposes.
The CloudOn Workspace allows you to:
• Use Microsoft Word®, Excel® and PowerPoint® on your Android Tablet and Phone to create, review and edit documents.
• Rename, delete and manage documents with your Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and SkyDrive accounts.
• View virtually any type of file, including: PDF, JPG, PNG, GIF, etc.
• Share files as links or attachments via email directly from the workspace.
• Display, edit or create charts, change formatting, spell check, insert comments, etc into any Word, Excel or PowerPoint files.
• Use the FileSpace to see a log of all the activity on file including edits, notifications and notes.
• Track changes while reviewing Word documents.
• Use pivot tables and insert formulas in Excel workbooks.
• Display and edit transitions in PowerPoint slides and present in full presentation mode.
• Open files directly from your device email accounts as well as Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and SkyDrive.
• Automatically save documents to avoid losing changes.
GEEK BONUS AREA