Summary Listing of Today’s Geek Squeaks’:
- A small utility that will auto hide your desktop icons
– First impressions of the Google Nexus 5 Smartphone
– One inbox for all your email accounts (Android App)
– Nice selection of cases for the Nexus 5
Geek Squeaks’ features a round-up of tech products, news, software, apps, wallpapers, articles, you name it; from my favorite tech web sites… I just plain love tech!
Auto Hide Desktop Icons
If your Windows desktop is a sea of icons, then you need this little utility called AutoHideDesktopIcons that will automatically hide the icons on your desktop after 5 seconds (or more depending on what you configure it to do). To make the icons visible, simply left mouse click on the desktop. You can also configure the mouse click settings, as well.
Very nice, small and portable app that gives you the ability to actually see and appreciate your desktop wallpaper. To really appreciate this little utility, make sure you place a check in the box next to “Start With Windows”.
Google Nexus 5: First Impressions and Photos
I am a proud owner of one of the Nexus 5 smartphone’s by Google. So far, I am loving it. I can see why the younger generation is walking away from desktop computers. Mix Google, Android and the Nexus 5 together and you have your computer in your pocket.
To give an idea of my first impressions, I found an article by Paul Thurrott that parallels my thoughts exactly…
First, and perhaps most important, this is a pretty special device. At just $350 for the 16 GB version and $400 for the 32 GB version, the Google Nexus 5 is an affordable and attractive device. It’s not a “hero” phone like the Galaxy S4, HTC One X, iPhone 5S or Lumia 1020. But it’s also not a bargain basement burner. This is a solid and well-made smart phone handset… READ MORE
An Android Email App With Fast Magical Search
I currently have a Gmail, an Outlook (Hotmail) and a couple of Yahoo email accounts that serve me well for various purposes. To pull down the mail from these accounts, into one inbox, on my Android devices, I use an app called Cloud Magic – Mail App. The strength in Cloud Magic lies in its’ ability to rapidly perform searches, but the part I really like is that it is very user friendly and it looks really nice.
* Lightning fast, powerful email search – Search across all your mailboxes in one go, all the way back to your first email. Use the smart search suggestions to quickly get to the email you need.
* Works for all types of email – Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, Outlook.com, iCloud, Google Apps, Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, Mail.com, GMX, AOL and other IMAP accounts.
* Unified Inbox – One inbox for all your email accounts.
Cases For Your Nexus 5
After getting my Nexus 5, one of the first things I did was go on the hunt for a case to protect my investment. It is still early in the game, since the Nexus 5 was just released, but there are some manufacturer’s who are ahead in the game with some really nice cases.