Just talking about the Windows Registry can make the hair stand up on one’s neck; however, if you work in IT there is a high probability, at some point, you will need to dissect the registry to make a system configuration change or to repair a registry setting that has been targeted by malware.
To those who have no idea of what I am talking about; the best and simplest definition I could find to describe the Windows Registry, for those at home, was at WikipediA.
The Windows Registry is a hierarchical database that stores configuration settings and options on Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Most folks at home are unaware of the registry and the method to edit the registry; which should only be performed by the skilled hands of a computer tech. To put the registry into perspective; ”mess up the registry and you mess up the operation of your computer”.
This is why backing up the registry should be part of your backup strategy. A program, that is FREE, I recently started to use for registry backups is called Registry Backup (go figure) by Tweaking.com .
When I upgraded to Windows 8 I wanted to make sure I had a compatible registry backup program and Registry Backup was the surefire solution. Note: Registry Backup is compatible with Windows XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7 & 8 (32 & 64 Bit).
I recently started using this program for several primary reasons:
Registry Backup uses the Windows Volume Shadow Copy Service to backup your system registry, which allows for perfect backups of the registry files and profiles on your computer.
Registry Backup is a full scale backup and restore program that has the ability to restore a backup from safe mode.
Registry Backup has a built-in scheduling option that can perform unattended backups.
I particularly keep registry backups around in the event of a malware infection, which in today’s world of computer, the registry becomes a prime target. Also, during those rare occasions where I do make registry edits, I feel more comfortable making the edits knowing my bacon is covered with Registry Backup.
Registry Backup – Features List:
- The program is 100% free.
- One click backup and restore.
- Can restore from Windows Safe Mode.
- Portable version can be ran from a thumb drive and keep backups of multiple systems.
- Automatic cleanup of older backups.
- Set and control scheduling options.
- Can backup & restore all user profiles on the system, not just the ones that are currently loaded.
- Control which registry files are backed up or restored.
- Detailed logs are saved with each backup.
- Multiple easy restore options.
- Online videos showing how to use the program and how to use the different restore options.
GEEK BONUS AREA
FEATURED TECH PRODUCT