You can get some bargains on computers, computer accessories, and electronics (and anything else you can think of) through the Amazon Warehouse. The items in the Warehouse are typically pre-owned or open box items.
Gmail Can Now Convert Text To Interactive Links (whenever phone numbers, addresses or emails are detected)September 19, 2017
Gmail on the web, Android and iOS can now convert text to interactive links whenever a phone number, address or email is detected. If a phone number is detected in Gmail, you can now click on the phone number and the default phone app will launch to initiate the call. If a postal mailing address is detected in Gmail, you can now click on the address and Google Maps will be launched. If an email address is detected in Gmail, you can now click on the email address and the default email app will launch. The objective of this new feature is to save you time from having to copy/paste this information from one application to another.
SOURCE: G Suites Updates Blog
This morning I am catching up on the tech news and the one thing that is jumping out at me is the news that CCleaner was hacked and used to deliver malware to unsuspecting computers and Android devices. I drilled down on this more and based on information from Piriform (the developers of CCleaner), a suspicious activity was identified on September 12th, 2017, where Piriform saw an unknown IP address receiving data from software found in version 5.33.6162 of CCleaner, and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191, on 32-bit Windows systems. Based on further analysis, they found that the 5.33.6162 version of CCleaner and the 1.07.3191 version of CCleaner Cloud was illegally modified before it was released to the public.
All CCleaner users are encouraged to update their CCleaner software to version 5.34 or higher. The latest version is available for download from here.
CCleaner has been around for years and years and is a “go to” utility that is used by millions to clean and optimize their PC’s in order to protect their privacy and make things faster. I personally have used it for many years.
Windows Repair Toolbox – Best FREE Portable Software To Help Diagnose And Solve Windows Computer ProblemsSeptember 17, 2017
There are many good (FREE) software utilities out there to help fix specific problems with your Windows computer; however, you need to know where to find them.
The Windows Repair Toolbox solves that problem by giving you a dashboard menu of choices to perform malware removal, system cleaning and repair, and disk defragmentation. These tools can be run successively in an unattended mode; and, when done, will send you an email (with log results) to let you know that the automatic repair is complete. You can even add your own software utilities to the Windows Repair Toolbox; however, from what I see that is included, they are some of the best out there.
I do have to advise you, that when you use tools to diagnose Windows problems, you are doing so at your own risk; however, when your back is against the wall and you have run out of solutions, Windows Repair Toolbox may be that shot in the dark you were looking for. Windows Repair Toolbox is available as a portable app, which makes it nice for those who run around helping others with their computer problems.
- Download and run “on-the-fly” the best free portable software when it comes to diagnose and solve several kinds of Windows problems. The tools are categorized by their function, and the program will automatically download the correct version for the Windows edition in which you’re working. When you finish, simply uninstall the tool, and all downloaded software is also removed. Or you can choose the portable version of Windows Repair Toolbox, and just run it from a pen drive.
- Ability to select several tools to run successively in unattended mode, in order to perform malware removal, system cleaning and repair, and disk defragmentation. A email letting you know that the automatic repair is complete, and containing the logs, can be sent to you.
- Displays relevant information about the computer to be repaired: CPU temperature, name and % time; amount of RAM installed on the system and % of use; Disk model, capacity, rotation, SATA version, basic health check; amount of free space left in the system partition; Windows edition and install date; System boot time; boot environment.
- Allows you to add your own favorite tools to the program;
- Allows you change the program icon and title bar text;
- Allows you to perform quality assurance tests after the repair is complete;
- Allows you to save notes about the repair process;
- Provides 1-click access to some useful Windows tools;
SOURCE: Windows Repair Toolbox
I had this happen on my Daughter’s NEW Hewlett Packard Notebook PC… If you have a HP computer, you may experience this issue. In our case we ended up doing a full reset of the computer… Below you will find a link for instructions to keep the “black screen” from occurring and preventing you from taking alternative action (such as a full reset). In our case, we learned of the fix after the fact. and my Daughter needed her notebook PC to be functional for her classes ASAP (therefore, we performed the full reset). After learning of the fix, I had her perform the steps necessary, as outlined in the source link below, to prevent the issue from occurring again. Reportedly this issue stems from a recent Windows update…
Equifax has provided a website dedicated to providing information (CLICK HERE) about the breach and a tool for people in the USA to check if they have been affected (CLICK HERE) by it. Equifax has not provided a similar facility for people in the UK and Canada yet. The online tool will ask for your “last name” and the “last six digits of your social security number”.
I. What Happened
On July 29, 2017, Equifax discovered that criminals exploited a U.S. website application vulnerability to gain access to certain files. Upon discovery, we acted immediately to stop the intrusion. The company promptly engaged a leading, independent cybersecurity firm which has been conducting a comprehensive forensic review to determine the scope of the intrusion, including the specific data impacted. Equifax also reported the criminal access to law enforcement and continues to work with authorities. Based on the company’s investigation, the unauthorized access occurred from mid-May through July 2017.
II. What Information Was Involved
Most of the consumer information accessed includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses, and in some instances, driver’s license numbers. In addition, credit card numbers for approximately 209,000 consumers and certain dispute documents, which included personal identifying information, for approximately 182,000 consumers were accessed. In addition to this site, Equifax will send direct mail notices to consumers whose credit card numbers or dispute documents with personal identifying information were impacted. We have found no evidence of unauthorized access to Equifax’s core consumer or commercial credit reporting databases.
Is your computer running slower due to low disk space? If so, run the portable version of WizTree to determine where the space hogs are located. Just be careful in what you end up deleting.
I am quite impressed with WizTree in the fact that it includes a visual treemap that allows you to spot large files and large collections of smaller files at a glance.
- Finds the files and folders using the most space on your hard drive
- VERY Fast! WizTree reads the master file table (MFT) directly from NTFS formatted hard drives (similar to the way Everything Search Engine works)
- Visual Treemap allows you to spot large files and large collections of smaller files at a glance
- Finds the largest files on your hard drive. Every single file on your hard drive can be sorted in order of size.
- File Name Search – quickly locate files by name or wildcard match
- Sort the contents of your entire hard drive by folder size and optionally delete files and folders
- Scan ALL hard drive file system types (NTFS, FAT, FAT32, network, etc) and/or individual folders
SOURCE: Antibody Software – WizTree