Thirty weeks of Geek Squeaks’ and going strong. I encourage the readers of this blog to visit each of the sites (blogs) that are listed below to learn more about information technology and computers. I am quite sure you will find something that will grab your attention. Geek Squeaks’ is a weekly listing of random articles that have been posted (within the past 7 days) by the blogs that are on the What’s On My PC… blogroll (located on the right side of the blog).
Stickies (v6.7) is a FREE electronic version of “sticky notes” that you often see posted on people’s desk, computer monitors, refrigerators, etc… I have been using Stickies on my PC (and thumb drive) to replace the accumulated paper mess that “sticky notes can lead to. Stickies is one of those programs that I personally cannot live without. It is FREE; It is GOOD; and It is PORTABLE.
The author of Stickies, Tom Revell (Zhorn Software), recently made an announcement, via the Stickies web site forum, that a new beta version of Stickies is available for public testing (Stickies v7 beta). Final release of Stickies v7 is expected on or around October 16th. Mr. Revell, we at What’s On My PC… applaud your work.
Folks, I have been testing the beta and it is awesome (see new features below). Beats the Windows 7 Sticky Notes hands down.
“Show System windows” checkbox in Attach dialog
Attached stickies can be set to only appear if the window is visible (not minimised)
“Snap back to transparent” option
Sticky ID added to properties
32 new API commands
New sticky from clipboard
Sleep until / Tomorrow added to Sleep menu
PDA keys can now be entered in Stickies
Text background highlighting
stickies.1wk now written after one week of continuous operation
Live preview of setting transparency
Control-F now searches text within a sticky
Stickies can be moved directly from any category to any other in the Manage dialog
Drop shadow option
Font name MRU list
F2 edits the sticky title
Sticky colour can be set in the Manage dialog
Sticky colour is now shown in the Manage dialog
New sticky “force title on create” option
Individual Desktop stickies can be hidden/revealed in the Manage dialog
RTL (right-to-left) default option for new stickies, and left shft+control / right shift+control to set paragraphs
Recovery dialog for when Stickies detects an error with the data file
“Ghost” mode for Desktop stickies can be set from the Manage dialog so they’re not clickable
Different Stickies can have different skins (alt-s to choose, shift-alt-s to return to default)
“Locked stickies are also frozen in place” option
“Rolled stickies have an alternate position” option. Hold shift as you toggle rolled to reset
Two new global shortcuts, “new sticky from clipboard” and “show manage dialog”
New sizing method – hold alt and click near the edge of a text sticky to resize it
A sync of Friends can now be set to happen every X minutes
If you have a desire to get answers to these questions, I encourage you to visit Scoroncocolo to learn more about FREE On-Line Backup Strategies AND how you can take advantage of them. The article is very well written for us everyday folks to understand. Be sure to check out the nice listing of online storage services that offer “FREE” storage space.
September 27, 2009
Cloud Computing is a buzz phrase we hear a lot these days. All Cloud Computing means is using your Web browser instead of your hard drive to run applications to do the work you do everyday. It won’t be long until this is the norm rather than the exception.
One thing you might want to keep in mind about using cloud storage providers is that they could go belly-up at any time. You may recall that this happened to AOL-owned Xdrive in or around August 0f 2008. With this in mind, you may not want to consider using backing-up in the cloud as your only method of securing your data.
Once you have music, pictures and documents stored on Google Docs, SkyDrive, ADrive, Box.net or Amazon, you can download and install Gladinet Cloud Desktop to keep track of everything. Gladinet Cloud Desktop allows you to access files stored in the cloud as if they were in a local folder.
Converber is one of those utilities that you should have on your computer (or flash drive) for those instances where you have to make unit conversions. Converber is a very powerful and feature enriched program that outshines the competition (see comparisons). Instantly get conversion results from one unit of measure to another unit of measure.
Converber is a unit converter. It is a powerful software utility that will help make easy conversions between 1324 various units of measure in 38 categories. Converber converts everything from length and force to flow and temperature.
- Gives immediate access to all categories or single category
- Favorites menu to bookmark your frequently-used conversions
- Currency rates…updated daily
- Inline calculator(*/-+^ and more)
- Automatic updates
- Quickly search the unit list and immediately see results
- Step backwards or forwards through the most recently used conversions
- New! Toolbar for faster mouse operation
- Single or multiple preference file(s) for different users
- Shows either common units or ALL units
- Converts as you type, so no convert button is required
- Includes equation editor to add your own custom units
- Allows you to select/unselect the conversion file(s)
- Can change the number of significant digits of the output
- Option to select decimal-point precision
- Option to select scientific notation only
- Extensive number formatting
- Inverts selected units with the quick swap feature
- New! Status bar to display the current category
- Converts left-to-right OR right-to-left
- Runs portable/stand-alone using no dll files or registry settings
- Remembers last window position and size (if desired)
- Offset correction for meter value compensation
- Comes with extensive help file
- Supports transparency
- Supports a multi-language user interface
- And more…
Windows4All is a Microsoft Silverlight (web) based online virtual operating system that emulates the feel and appearance of Windows Vista. No installation or account sign-up is required; and applications can be launched right away by simply going to Windows4all.com . If the application does not load, then you do not have Microsoft Silverlight installed.
Silverlight is a cross-browser, cross-platform and cross-device browser plug-in that helps companies design, develop and deliver applications and experiences on the Web.
The desktop to Windows4all interface emulates the Windows Vista desktop with a taskbar, Start Menu, and Sidebar. Also included at this point of development is:
Rich Text Editor
Games (Chess, Spider, Solitaire, Tic-Tac-Toe)
- Convenience and freedom – A personalized desktop is available and accessible from any computer in the world.
- No more administration – No more software installation, software update, worry about anti-virus.
- Security – Less prone to typical attacks, viruses, worms, vulnerabilities, spyware and disk crashes.
- Hardware – Performance doesn’t depend much on the speed of your computer.
- Entertainment – Being online, windows4all.com offers more opportunities for communicating and entertainment.
- Cost – It is free.
Windows4All is currently in the early stage of development; however, the current stage of development will give you an idea what a familiar online operating system (Vista) looks like inside your web browser.