If you are someone that uses a portable flash drive on a regular basis, then you most likely have experienced that feeling when you either forgot to unplug the drive from a foreign computer or that feeling when you have misplaced or lost the drive. If this has not happened to you, believe me it will. I am a heavy duty flash drive user and I have experienced both, even though I go to great lengths to monitor the whereabouts of my flash drive. As a result of my carelessness, I have learned to use layers of protection to prevent access to the data on the drive in the event the drive falls into the wrong hands.
In conjunction with using encryption software on my flash drive (such as the FREE version of SafeHouse), I will also use programs on the drive that offer password protection and additional encryption. For example, the sticky notes program that I carry on my flash drive is a FREE program called PNotes that not only can be password protected; it can also be configured to automatically encrypt your notes.
This little gem of a program contains a boat load of features that continues to get better and better. PNotes can also be installed and run from your computer as well.
- Ease of use – no installation, just unpack the downloaded archive to any location and run PNotes.exe.
- Fully adjustable – you set the default fonts, colors and dimensions of notes.
- Individual note adjusting – every note can have its own settings, like fonts, colors etc.
- Rich text formatting – any portion of note’s text can be formatted separately.
- Password protection – prevents unauthorized access to program.
- Encryption – allows you to store notes as encrypted files, so even in case of loosing your USB stick nobody could read them.
- Backing up – the notes could be backed up before saving – with any reasonable levels of copies – and quickly restored at any moment.
- Transparency – opacity level for notes may vary from completely opaque to absolutely transparent.
- Skins – there is a variety of skins for PNotes (some of them are just works of art) and, moreover, you can create your own if download PNSkinCreator – a small utility for creation PNotes skins.
- Docking – you may dock notes to any side of screen (all together or each one separately) and get as a result a kind of panel.
- Scheduling – it is possible to schedule each note to remind you about significant events by many different ways. Using this feature you may just hide notes and don’t worry, you’ll be notified in time.
- Overdue reminders – have you set a number of reminders and turned your computer off or taken the program in whole to another computer? Never mind, next time the program will start it will check it’s settings and inform you about any overdue reminder.
- Favorites – add frequently used notes to favorites for easy and fast access.
- Searching – you may perform the quick search in notes either by their contents, or by their titles.
- E-mailing – contents of each note or number of notes as attachment may be sent by e-mail.
- Control Panel – this is your central command post. All management is put into effect here.
- Grouping – notes can be separated into different groups for easy management. You may freely create, modify or delete groups and change every note’s belonging by single click or just drag_and_drop.
- Internationalization – PNotes is fully Unicode supported and translated into many languages.
- Portability – PNotes leaves no traces in Windows registry and can be started from any drive (fixed or flash) on any computer. Take your notes with you to any location.
- Other features – of course there are many other unmentioned features in program, but I suggest you to discover them by yourself, these are delights of any new program, aren’t they?