A great option in Firefox that I recently traversed is the option to make your Gmail account your default email account when using Firefox. Of course, to benefit from this, you must be using the Mozilla Firefox browser (which I highly recommend) and you must have a Google Gmail account. Why this became an interest to me is that I recently decided to make Gmail my primary email provider. The downside to this is when I clicked on an email address in Firefox, Gmail would not automatically load; instead the default email client assigned by the computer (e.g. Microsoft Outlook) would load. Knowing from my past experience, “if you can think of it, someone has done it”… I went on the hunt to find a solution to this problem and discovered that Firefox version 3 and greater has an option built into the browser where you can make Gmail your default email client. To make this happen:
- Open Firefox
- Click on “Tools” on the top menu, then click on “Options”
- Click on the “Applications Tab”
- Under “Content Type” look for “mailto”
- Once you locate the “mailto” entry, click on “mailto” to highlight it.
- You should see on the right side of “mailto” (under the “Action” column) a small “down arrow”.
- Click on the “down arrow” and then click on “Use Gmail” (see screenshot below)
- After making your selection, click on “OK”
- You are done!
Note: You can also follow this same process to make Yahoo! Mail your default email client.