One of my very favorite apps that has been installed on my PC for years, that continues to get better and better, is Pop Peeper… In my opinion, as a software evaluator and computer geekster, Pop Peeper is the best email notifier out there.
If you do not know how Pop Peeper works, let me try to give a brief explanation. Pop Peeper is an application that patiently sits in your task bar tray waiting for mail to arrive in your email accounts so that it can alert you that you have mail. If you notice, I put an “s” on the word “account”. This application, once configured (which is easy to do), will monitor all of your email accounts and will alert you when you have mail.
The primary use of an email notifier is to let you know when you have new email. Although email clients can generally do the same thing, notifiers are geared more specifically to this purpose. For example, most email notifiers work better than email clients when you have several email accounts. Although some email notifiers will allow you to send email, most do not allow you to save messages to disk for permanent access. POP Peeper is an example of an email notifier.
You can even check (read) the content of the emails through the Pop Peeper interface and manage those emails (e.g. delete, forward, etc…) without ever having to open the email client itself. For example, I currently use Pop Peeper to manage (3)-three of my personal email accounts, my email account for the blog, and my wife’s email account. See below for the account types that are supported by Pop Peeper.
Recently, a new plugin for Pop Peeper was added that is really cool called a “skin notifier”.
This plugin displays a skinnable popup when new email arrives. The popup can either be acknowledged by the user, or automatically slide in and out. You can get the plugin [ here ] ; however, you must install Pop Peeper first, configure Pop Peeper to monitor your mail accounts; then, you can install the “skin notifier”.
Pop Peeper; definitely one of my favorites!
- Easy Setup – accounts are imported from your existing email client(s)
- Supports POP3, IMAP (including GMail, AOL, AIM, Netscape, FastMail, mail.com, etc), SMTP, GMail, Hotmail\MSN\LiveMail, Yahoo, MyWay, Excite, iWon, Lycos.com, RediffMail, Juno, NetZero
- IDLE is supported for IMAP accounts which allows instant notification when new mail arrives in your inbox
- Support for RSS feeds is available with purchase of the Premium Add-on Pack
- Read, delete, print and reply to Email without opening your email client
- Send email directly from POP Peeper
- SSL support for POP3, IMAP and SMTP
- HTML email support
- Password protection
- Address book
- Options to protect you from messages that contain viruses and web bugs
- Send, save and open file attachments
- Run POP Peeper off your portable storage device
- No account limit — notifies you of an unlimited number of accounts
- Many ways to receive new mail notification: skinnable desktop alerts, audio, flashing scroll lock LED and more
- Specify how often all accounts are checked for new mail or set individual intervals for each account
- Extensive help with useful tips and information
Email Notification Options
- Sound notifications: single sound for any new mail, or a customized sound for each account
- Tray icon notification that display the color and number of new messages for each account
- Flashing scroll lock LED
- Windows popup indicating which account(s) received new email
- BalloonTip displays the subject and sender of the last email message received
- Automatically open POP Peeper or launch your email client when new email is received
- Skinnable popup (optional download)
- ScreenSaver (optional download)
- Chime can repeat a sound until acknowledged and\or launch another program when new mail arrives (optional download)
- Snarl notification system plugin (optional download)
- Voice Notification announces the subject and sender of your new messages (premium download)