Anyone who uses a flash drive on a regular basis knows that the drives can be easily misplaced or lost and that the data can be easily compromised. There are many software options out there to encrypt the data on these drives; however, it requires some tech know how to jump through all the hoops. Would not it be nice there was a way to protect the data on the flash drive from the “hardware” side, instead of the “software” side?
Just recently Corsair (maker of flash drives and memory modules) has come up with a 8 GB flash drive (called Corsair Padlock 2) that requires entering a 4 – 10 digit (PIN) Personal Identification Number, on a small built-in keypad, in order to make the drive accessible.
How secure is the Corsair Padlock 2 ?
The Corsair Padlock 2 will automatically lock once the drive is removed from the computer; however, if you are an IT guy and you are travelling from one PC to another, there is an option to keep the drive unlocked until you lock it again. If you fail to enter the correct PIN, multiple times, you will automatically be locked out of the drive for 2 minutes. If you forget the PIN, you can reset the drive back to factory specs; however, resetting the drive securely erases the data on the drive.
Current retail on this product can be found for $55.00 or less. I am currently investigating this drive for my personal use and would love to hear from anyone who is currently using the Corsair Flash Padlock 2.
Details as published by Corsair:
The Corsair Flash Padlock 2 is perfect for transporting and protecting your sensitive business or personal information. With built-in 256-bit hardware data encryption, and access limited by a PIN, you can rest assured your information is safe from unintentional viewing. Built with the same ruggedized rubber housing found on the Corsair Flash Voyager family for durability, your data is protected from the elements as well.
Because the PIN keypad is integrated directly onto the flash drive, there is no software to install. Simply enter your own Personal Identification Number and your data is unlocked for use on virtually any PC operating system: Windows, OS X, or Linux—even game consoles. Without the PIN, your information stays secure and inaccessible.
- Secure: Hardware 256-bit encryption secures your data
- Protection: Your own 4-10 digit PIN protects and locks access to the Flash Padlock 2
- Capacity: Large 8GB storage gives you ample room to store all your sensitive documents, or up to 2,480 images, or up to 2,000 songs
- Compatible: No software to install — Works on Windows, Mac or Linux based computers — Plug & Play compatible with virtually any USB port
- Hacking Detection: Multiple failed entries locks device for 2 minutes to prevent repeated attempts to access data
- Drive Recovery: If you lose your PIN, you can reset the Flash Padlock to its factory default state, securely erasing all data from the drive
- Confidence: Protected by a limited 10 year warranted and backed by Corsair’s renowned customer service and support