If you are a parent who has children who use the computer to access the internet it is very important that you educate yourself and your child about the dangers of the internet. It is important to have strict guidelines in place on their computer usage and a method to supervise and monitor their online activities. Do not fall for the myth that your generation is dumb about computers (and the internet) and today’s kids are computer (and internet) savvy. This is very far from the truth. Let’s face it kids will be kids… Computers and the internet are a form of entertainment to kids, much like the television was when we were kids.
To help you, as a parent, to take a bite out of the dangers of the internet, I would like to introduce you to McGruff Safeguard. This application intelligently monitors kids’ internet activity such as internet chatting, search engine phrases, and social networking profiles (e.g. Facebook, My Space). The difference between this application and many of the other applications out there is that McGruff Safeguard is a monitoring application and not an application that controls where your child visits. I actually prefer an application such as this to establish an open dialog about internet guidelines and to build trust between you and your child.
McGruff SafeGuard is an authorized, licensed product of The National Crime Prevention Council and McGruff The Crime Dog, and the first and only service to electronically connect parents with law enforcement in their common battle against Internet sexual predators.
• All website visits
• MySpace/Facebook and social network activity
• Chat and instant message conversations
• Search engine phrases
• Emails sent on popular systems, including AOL, Yahoo, MSN and Hotmail
• Tracks total hours spent online
• Intelligent monitoring automatically alerts you by email to potential danger
• Get daily summary of activity
• Report predators directly to Law Enforcement
• Auto-monitors for hundreds of dangerous phrases
• Create your own custom alerts
• Your child’s activity by keyword and date
• Your child’s activity by buddy name
• Translates “kidspeak” abbreviations and acronyms
• Choose your level of monitoring preferences
• Installs on your child’s PC one time. Then, monitor remotely forever.
• No need to sneak back onto your child’s PC.
• Block specific people from talking to your child
• Connect and cooperate with millions of other parents worldwide