June 28, 2016
If you are an IT Professional I think you will appreciate the site called SecurityXploded. They feature a smorgasbord of password dump tools, system security tools, network security tools, anti-spyware tools, and online security tools.
234 tools at this time, to be exact… Check out their current listing of tools HERE
SecurityXploded – the community division of XenArmor – is a popular Infosec Research & Development organization offering FREE Security Softwares, latest Research Articles and FREE Training on Reverse Engineering & Malware Analysis.
June 27, 2016
Noticed that PicPick, a multi-purpose design tool that features a powerful capture tool, image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard, etc. was recently upgraded and continues to make strides in its’ development. This is a must-have tool that is FREE for personal use. A portable version is available, as well…
June 20, 2016
PangoBright is a simple to use screen dimmer utility that I have featured on the blog in the past. Recently, while sitting in my garage watching a ballgame, in the dark, and multitasking on my notebook PC, I needed something to tone down the brightness on the notebook. I remembered PangoBright and downloaded it. When I ran PangoBright it defaulted to a 70 percent screen brightness (which made me happy); but, I noticed something when I clicked on PangoBright’s tray menu. There is now an option to select a fade out color, which further makes this small (116k) portable utility valuable (in terms of reducing eye strain). This option was not there the last time I used PangoBright.
Oh, PangoBright does work on Windows 10…
June 8, 2016
I recently featured the AnVir Task Manager here on the blog and can’t say enough about its’ usefulness. If you are a tech or someone who assists other’s with their Windows based computers I highly recommend you download the portable version of this application. To explain everything that this program can do (and monitor) I have posted below a link to a tutorial video. This program has many, many features and will even serve as a level of protection for your computer to protect you from malware and viruses. Anvir Task Manager goes over and above any task managers that I know of.
CLICK HERE to see an extensive Overview Video
June 7, 2016
My favorite and only image viewer on my computer(s) is FastStone Image Viewer… There are many great image viewers out there, but I’ve been using this one for years and it continues to get better and better. FastStone Image Viewer is available as a portable app and as a regular Windows install…
FastStone Image Viewer
- Image browser and viewer with a familiar Windows Explorer-like user interface
- Support of many popular image formats
- True Full Screen viewer with image zoom support and unique fly-out menu panels
- Crystal-clear and customizable one-click image magnifier
- Powerful image editing tools: Resize/resample, rotate/flip, crop, sharpen/blur, adjust lighting/colors/curves/levels etc.
- Eleven re-sampling algorithms to choose from when resizing images
- Image color effects: gray scale, sepia, negative, Red/Green/Blue adjustment
- Image special effects: annotation, drop shadow, framing, bump map, sketch, oil painting, lens
- Draw texts, lines, highlights, rectangles, ovals and callout objects on images
- Clone Stamp and Healing Brush
- Superior Red-Eye effect removal/reduction with completely natural looking end result
- Multi-level Undo/Redo capability
- One-touch best fit/actual size image display support
- Image management, including tagging capability, with drag-and-drop and Copy To/Move To Folder support
- Histogram display with color counter feature
- Compare images side-by-side (up to 4 at a time) to easily cull those forgettable shots
- Image EXIF metadata support (plus comment editing for JPEGs)
- Configurable batch processing to convert/rename large or small collections of images
- Slideshow creation with 150+ transition effects and music support (MP3, WMA, WAV…)
- Create efficient image attachment(s) for emailing to family and friends
- Print images with full page-layout control
- Create fully configurable Contact Sheets
- Create memorable artistic image montages from your family photos for personalized desktop wallpapers (Wallpaper Anywhere)
- Acquire images from scanner. Support batch scanning to PDF, TIFF, JPEG and PNG
- Versatile screen capture capability
- Powerful Save As interface to compare image quality and control generated file size
- Run favorite programs with one keystroke from within Image Viewer
- Offer portable version of the program which can be run from a removable storage device
- Configurable mouse wheel support
- Support multiple program skins
- Support dual-monitor configurations
- Support touch interface (tap, swipe, pinch)
- And much more…
June 4, 2016
I have featured the tool InternetOff here on the blog before. Recently I noticed that InternetOff has now been upgraded to include a scheduling feature, which give you the ability to schedule your access to the internet.
InternetOff allows you to quickly turn off the internet so that you can go offline. When you need the connection, you can enable the internet easily for some period (and it will be automatically turned off) or permanently in just two clicks. Besides the program lets you password protect and schedule access to the internet.
This tool is a great asset if you are on a metered connection (such as satellite); to shutdown the internet to protect your PC from potential security threats; to shutdown (and schedule) your children’s usage; OR, to simply shutdown the internet to avoid the distractions (such as notifications from email, facebook, twitter, etc…), so that you can work (offline) on other matters of importance.
Version: 3.0, Size: 1.9 MB
10/8/7/Vista/XP, 32/64 bit
May 31, 2016
Here is a good explanation, as to why I use Balabolka (the FREE Text-To-Speech program)…
“We always read papers out loud—would you like to read yours, or would you like to hear me read it?” Reading aloud has many benefits that we want to share with writers. Most people have far more experience listening to and speaking English than they do reading and editing it on the printed page. When you read your draft out loud or listen to someone else read it, your brain gets the information in a new way, and you may notice things that you didn’t see before” — Source: The Writing Center at UNC-Chapel Hill
As a blogger (and writer of other documents) I have come to depend on Balabolka, a Text-To-Speech (TTS) program to have my writings read back to me. Balabolka is very easy to use and can be set up through the settings to read back any text that you copy to the clipboard. This gem of a program uses the computer voices installed on your system. The best part of Balabolka is that the on-screen text, that you copy into Balaboka, can be saved as a WAV, MP3, MP4, OGG or WMA file.
There is a full install version, portable version, as well as a console version of Balabolka.