November 28, 2017
Here is a portable program for the tech toolbox (or can be installed), called “Complete Internet Repair” that may be able to help you if you are experiencing any of the problems reflected below that is related to network and/or internet connectivity issues:
- Internet or network problem after removing adware, spyware, virus, worm, Trojan horse, etc.
- Loss network connection after installing/uninstalling VPN, firewall or other networking programs.
- Unable to access any website or can only access some websites.
- Pop-up error window with network related problem description.
- No network connectivity due to registry errors.
- DNS lookup problem.
- Fail to renew the network adapter’s IP address or other DHCP errors.
- Network connectivity issue with limited or no connections message.
- Windows update does not work.
- You are having problems connecting to secured websites (ex. Banking).
- Internet Explorer stopped working or crashes all the time.
- Sticky proxy server settings.
- A few other internet errors, but we will not discuss all here.
SOURCE: Rizonesoft – Complete Internet Repair
November 24, 2017
Currently, Windows 10 does not offer up an option to turn Windows Updates “on” and “off”. This is where the “Windows 10 Update Switch” can help. It is a third party software option that allows you to toggle the Windows 10 Updates “on” and “off”. This software is especially helpful when you are on a limited broadband connection, such as satellite broadband; where you are allotted a certain amount of data per month. The “Windows 10 Update Switch” not only allows you to turn the updates “on or off”; it also allows you to set the computer to a metered connection where the updates are delayed and prevents Windows from gobbling up bandwidth. The metered connection, from a security standpoint, is probably your best bet…
Windows 10 Updates Switch is a FREE utility and is available as a portable app (for your tech toolbox)…
SOURCE: Rizonesoft – Windows 10 Update Switch
November 17, 2017
Use the FREE “Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool” to download ISO disk images for Microsoft Windows and Office (Windows 7, Windows 8.1 Windows 10, Office 2007, Office 2010, Office 2013, Office 2016, and Office for Mac). The disk images (ISO) are directly downloaded from Microsoft’s servers (at TechBench). The tool, which is a portable app, accesses the TechBench site, and unlocks a large number of hidden download files on it…
SOURCE: HeiDoc.net – Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool
November 6, 2017
I have featured Glary Utilities on the blog in the past and thought I would do a re-visit to see where the program is at this time. Glary Utilities has been around for a long time and I have installed/uninstalled it many times over the years. Today, after looking at an interface that is new to me, I decided to re-install Glary Utilities and use it as my main system optimization and maintenance tool. One important thing I like about this utility is that you can download it as a portable app and keep it on your flash drive (tech toolbox). There is a FREE version of this software, as well as a professional (paid) version.
The interface of Glary Utilities is super easy to navigate (with one click functionality) with options to perform maintenance options automatically. The program includes over twenty system utilities (such as a Registry Cleaner, Spyware Remover, Startup Manager and Shortcuts Fixer) and features a “Windows Boot Time Monitor” that will tell you how fast your computer starts up. This time is then compared with other Windows users. This is useful in determining if there is something causing your computer to lag at boot up.
Glary Utilities, according to their site, is compatible with all versions of Windows.
CLICK TO ENLARGE SCREENSHOTS
SOURCE: GlarySoft – Glary Utilities 5
October 23, 2017
Noticed a new version of PicPick on their site and thought I would give another shout-out for this program. This program is very good, is free and serves as an all-in-one program that provides full-featured screen capture, image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair and even whiteboard… PicPick is available as a Windows install or portable app.
(click on screenshot to enlarge)
SOURCE: PicPick by NGWIN
October 16, 2017
Noticed this morning a version upgrade to Any Burn Portable at FreewareFiles. Followed up by checking the official site. Any Burn is my favorite burning software due to its’ simplicity and the fact that there is a portable version that I can carry on my flash drive.
AnyBurn is a light weight but professional CD / DVD / Blu-ray burning software that everyone must have. It provides a free and complete solution for burning and disc imaging.
- Portable, no installation needed.
- Burn image file, directories and files
- Convert CD / DVD / Blu-ray to ISO or BIN/CUE images
- Erase rewritable disc
- Burn Audio CD from mp3/ape/flac…
- sector by sector copy function
SOURCE: Any Burn
October 10, 2017
I do not care much for the image viewer that is packaged with the Windows operating system; therefore, I look for the better options. In this case, the better option is IrfanView. This program, it seems, has been around since of the beginning of time. Actually, I believe it was somewhere around 1996 when Irfanview began making its’ appearance. This program is designed to be simple; yet, can be made to be more complex by using a variety of downloadable plugins. I encourage you to give it a try.
IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10. Also available as a full install download or portable app.
- 32 and 64 bit version
- Many supported file formats (click here the list of formats)
- Multi language support
- Thumbnail/preview option
- Paint option – to draw lines, circles, arrows, straighten image etc.
- Toolbar skins option
- Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD)
- Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow/Fullscreen etc.
- Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters
- Fast directory view (moving through directory)
- Batch conversion (with advanced image processing)
- Multipage TIF editing
- File search
- Email option
- Multimedia player
- Print option
- Support for embedded color profiles in JPG/TIF
- Change color depth
- Scan (batch scan) support
- Add overlay text/image (watermark)
- IPTC editing
- Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.)
- Screen Capturing
- Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs
- Lossless JPG rotation
- Shell Extension PlugIn
- Unicode support
- Many hotkeys
- Many command line options
- Many PlugIns
- Only one EXE-File, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like “I Agree” or “Evaluation expired”
- No registry changes without user action/permission!
- and much much more