Android Auto has many great benefits including free in-vehicle navigation. Here’s how to quickly get started using this great app.
Google is cracking down on apps on the Google Play Store with the most obnoxious ads. The company today announced it had removed ‘nearly 600’ apps from the Play Store – banning them from monetizing ads too – for their disruptive advertisements.
Windows is very far from a perfect operating system, but it’s hard to complain about the built-in Defender antivirus. It generally doesn’t disrupt the user experience, works well, and has largely eliminated the need for third-party antivirus programs on Windows PCs. Now Microsoft wants to bring Defender to… Android?
This Android App has been in the works for quite a while… It is a unified Android app that bundles the Microsoft Office products into one app, instead of having to download each app separately.
Word, Excel, and PowerPoint combined in one app:
- The most widely used tools for working with documents, spreadsheets, and presentations, all from a single app.
- Create, edit, and work together on Office documents with others in real-time.
- Use templates to easily get started with your resume, budget, presentations, and other documents.
- Easily store, access, and search for Word, Excel, PowerPoint files stored in your personal cloud storage, on your device, or across your organization (if using a work account).
If your vehicle has Android Auto, you can now use the system to quickly view your local weather. Users started noticing the new feature over the last week, reporting that they show up as two small icons in the platform’s status bar. Don’t expect to get a full weather forecast, but it’s not like you’re missing much — you could easily view a more detailed outlook from your phone when you’re not driving a vehicle.
If you own a Chromebook that supports running Android Apps you may want to give Solid Explorer File Manager a try. The file manager baked into the ChromeOS has improved, but lacks features. Solid Explorer File Manager is one of those apps that I actually purchased because it worked like it was actually made for my Chromebook, in not only appearance, but in performance. On the Chromebook this file manager runs in “dual pane” view. I especially like that I can access the other computers in my home (for file transfers) and it has more robust cloud access options (can access Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, Sugarsync, Copy, Mediafire, Owncloud, Yandex).
Below you will find a description of the features. Solid Explorer gives you a 14 day trial period to give it a spin. I highly recommend it for Chromebooks (with Android support), smartphones and tablets.
– Material Design!
– Two independent panels serving as file browsers
– Rich customization options: icons sets, color schemes, themes
– Drag and Drop inside and between panels
– FTP, SFTP, WebDav, SMB/CIFS clients
– Ability to read and extract ZIP, 7ZIP, RAR and TAR archives, even encrypted
– Ability to create password protected ZIP and 7ZIP archives
– Cloud file manager: Dropbox, Box, OneDrive, Google Drive, Sugarsync, Copy, Mediafire, Owncloud, Yandex
– Root access makes Solid Explorer a fully functional root explorer
– Extensibility: more features in separate plugins available in Google Play
– Indexed search finds your files in a couple of seconds
– Detailed file information with storage usage statistics
– Batch rename: change names of multiple files at once using regular expressions and variables
– Useful tools: hiding unwanted folders, FTP Server (plugin), bookmarks, Chromecast support, media browser
Fractions Calculator is the Android app I go to when I need to figure out measurements where fractions are involved. For example, I needed to quickly figure out half of 15 7/8 and within seconds, this app got me the the answer. If you are into carpentry or any profession for that matter where fractions are used, you may want to take a look at this one.
Visit the “Android Police” (see source link below) to learn about 3 new experimental apps by Google (Envelope, Activity Bubbles, and Screen Stopwatch) that could help you cut down on your phone usage.
One of the things that Google users have been requesting is to have the new-ish Google Tasks integrated with all the other Google productivity apps to make it a seamless process. Well we did get that with Gmail previously and now it looks like Google Calendar is the next one to follow. They have actually been working on the task integration for some time now but a recent teardown has spotted the feature and can actually be manually triggered if you know how.
Paycheck Calculator is a free Android app also, available for iPhone to calculate your after tax income.
Some Google Maps users are being greeted by a new interface when they open the application. Gone are the now-familiar three bottom tabs with the side menu. Instead, the app has completely removed the menu and switched to five tabs, while lots of options migrated to the account picker pop-up. The benefit of this UI is faster access to your contributions as well as your saved places and lists.
The best Android apps of the year include a social media giant, a video editor, and a gaming streaming service.
Source: Best Android apps of 2019 – CNET
An app that I installed on my phone that has been invaluable to me when blogging is an app called “Clipboard Manager“. Clipboard Manager is a simple and powerful application to manage your clipboard, keep history, fast access to your notes in history, etc. If you install and use this app and find it is not showing up in the notifications; go into your phone’s settings and under the battery settings app management, allow the app to run in the background. This is a nice app if you are constantly copying/pasting text-based material…
While Google Calendar is probably one of the favorite productivity apps of a lot of users, the mobile version is not as robust as its desktop counterpart. One of the things missing was the ability to move events from one calendar to the other. It looks like Google is finally adding that minor but important feature as a server-side switch is giving selected users the ability to do that.