September 28, 2017
These days, compared to yesteryear, there is a multitude of good options to perform a Windows Operating System, selected partitions, and even the whole disk backup (often referred to as disk imaging).
One of the newer options that I recently was made aware of is “MiniTool Shadow Maker FREE”. I like the software that MiniTool develops and will be keeping an eye on (and testing) their rendition of this disk shadowing software. The purpose of this software is to provide you with an exact copy of your Windows OS that will allow you to restore your computer once a disaster occurs (and it eventually will). Disasters like a system crash, hard drive failure, and more.
MiniTool ShadowMaker offers straightforward solutions to deal with all kinds of backup tasks, including system backup and disk backup. These backups contain exactly the same copy of all the data stored on the original disk or partition. Such backups allow you to recover your computer to the normal state when Windows works incorrectly or partition data get lost.
Main Features of MiniTool ShadowMaker
- System and Disk Backup
- Schedule and Event Trigger Backup
- Differential and Incremental Images
- Bare Metal Recovery and Universal Restore
- WinPE Bootable media builder and PXE server
- Password Protection and AES Encryption
SOURCE: MiniTool ShadowMaker Free 1.0
July 18, 2017
I cannot emphasize enough the importance of backing up your personal files and imaging your hard drive. An easy way to get started on this is with an external hard drive. If you are looking for a quality drive, PCWorld just performed a review on a batch of external drives and ended up selecting the WD My Passport 4TB as the best external drive for 2017.
Lots of storage for less than the competition, attractive styling, and good performance with small files highlight this USB 3.0 portable hard drive. An excellent bargain. Source: PCWorld
- Auto backup with included WD Backup software
- Password protection with hardware encryption
- Reimagined design
- Trusted drive built with WD reliability
- USB 3.0 port; USB 2.0 compatible. SYSTEM COMPATIBILITY: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7. Requires reformatting for Mac OS X operating system.
SOURCE: Amazon – WD 4TB Black My Passport Portable External Hard Drive – USB 3.0
July 12, 2017
With Google’s new “Backup and Sync” tool you can sync some or all your files and folders on your computer to Google Drive.; AND, you can (also) sync files and folders in Google Drive to your computer for offline use. To download and learn how to use the new tool — CLICK HERE
Backup and Sync is an app for Mac and PC that backs up files and photos safely in Google Drive and Google Photos, so they’re no longer trapped on your computer and other devices. Just choose the folders you want to back up, and we’ll take care of the rest.
SOURCE: Google Blog
July 3, 2017
I currently use Dsynchronize at work and at home to back up (and sync) my files. To learn how to use Dsynchronize, I suggest you set up a small test environment to practice using the program. It is very easy to use, once you get the hang of it. The thing that fascinates me with the program is that it is very fast. I have been using Dsynchronize for several years and it has never let me down.
Dsynchronize is FREE and is a standalone program (portable app) that requires no installation…
February 21, 2017
I have found that using synchronization software is a very easy way for the home based computer user to backup data vs. the full blown backup type software (which can hard to understand for the home computer user). I am currently messing around with the FREE synchronization program called SyncFolders; that, so far in my testing, could end up being my default (go to) backup software for my computers here at home. If you are interested in giving SyncFolders a try, the source link is reflected below. SyncFolders is also available as a portable app.
Features of SyncFolders
- Supports two-way synchronization of files and folders.
- Can easily be used as backup tool.
- Shows a preview before the actual synchronization takes place. You can override actions if desired.
- Detects conflicts or file collisions when a file has changed in both locations since the last sync operation. Therefore, SyncFolders tracks file modifications and deletions in a local database.
- Propagates deletions and detects file renames.
- File comparison by date and size or by content.
- Default actions can be defined in case of synchronization conflicts.
- Integrates with Windows’ Task Scheduler to support scheduled synchronizations.
- Supports file and folder filters.
- Can handle long file names and files of any size.
- Synchronization from or to UNC paths is supported.
- Supports multiple synchronization rules in a single rules file.
- Deleted or overwritten files can be moved to the recycle bin or to a time-stamped history folder.
- History files can be deleted after a user-defined period.
- Unlimited number of files.
- Synchronization from command line.
- Can ignore one-hour timestamp differences caused by DST switch for synchronization to FAT file systems.
- Unrestricted freeware.
- No spyware, adware or malware.
- Portable, although .NET Framework is required.
January 30, 2017
Many of us at home rely on Google’s Gmail, as our email service provider. Gmail, for me, has been a very reliable service; however, I do often think, what would happen if my account was hacked and I lost years and years of accumulated emails???
To give some level of comfort there is a software solution called “Upsafe Gmail Backup” that gives you the ability to backup your email and even the option to restore email(s) that you may have deleted. All backups are stored local to a folder on your computer. The first time you run the software, the backup may take awhile depending on the amount of emails you have stored in your Gmail account. Subsequent backups are incremental and are much faster.
To get a feel how “Upsafe Gmail Backup” works, check out the video below. If further interested in taking a look at this and trying, click on the source link below.
Backup your mailbox with our free Upsafe solution. Restore your Gmail emails even when you deleted them from your trash box. Download it for free now!
Source: Upsafe Free Gmail backup
December 17, 2016
AOMEI is an excellent software package that will assist you with backing up your files. The newest version now includes a live syncing option. Read more at Betanews (source link below).
AOMEI has released AOMEI Backupper Standard 4.0, the second major update of its freeware Windows backup, imaging and cloning tool in 2016. Version 4.0 adds an additional arrow to the tool’s bow …
Source: AOMEI Backupper Standard 4 adds real-time file sync, supports backup to cloud