The Windows operating system is dependent on a built in component called the registry that is a centralized storage (database) area that all-in-all manages the operation of your Windows computer. The registry stores and manages your Windows system configuration, computer hardware, information about installed programs, program associations and user preferences. I often refer to the registry as the brain of Windows.
During the operation of your computer, Windows continually references the registry, via a structured hierarchy of keys, subkeys, and named values; to ensure the consistent operation of your computer. For example, when you install hardware and/or software on your computer, the registry is often accessed and modified. The registry can also be manually edited with the right amount of understanding and expertise. The whole point here is that the registry is a sensitive part of the operating system and can be corrupted due to a bad hardware/software install, improper editing by the user and most commonly through a malware infection.
To bail out of these type of situations, most users will often use Windows Restore, in an attempt to recover the system; however, I have found through experience that the Windows Restore is not always the answer and does not always work (especially if it is a malware infection).
A solution that I use is a utility, made by Tweaking.com, called Registry Backup. This utility has been specifically developed to backup the registry either manually or automatically (at scheduled intervals). With this utility I typically backup the registry prior to any software installs, hardware installs and/or Windows Updates (which also can cause issues). In the event a problem occurs, you can restore the registry via one of the backups that you created; and, if you are saavy enough to understand the registry it is possible to backup only specific areas of the registry with this utility.
This program contains the follow features:
- One click backup and restore.
- Can restore from Windows Safe Mode.
- Can restore from the Windows Recovery Console
- Portable version can be ran from a thumb drive and keep backups of multiple systems.
- Automatic cleanup of older backups.
- Set and control scheduling options.
- Can backup & restore all user profiles on the system, not just the ones that are currently loaded.
- Control which registry files are backed up or restored.
- Detailed logs are saved with each backup.
- Multiple easy restore options.
- Online videos showing how to use the program and how to use the different restore options.
Windows XP/Vista/7/8 — 32-bit program. Can run on both a 32-bit and 64-bit OS.
Thank You For Visiting Today
MAKE SURE YOU ALSO VISIT
Bookmarks4Techs – GEGeek – Downloads
Tech News – Tech Toys – Archive (all articles)