I do not care much for the image viewer that is packaged with the Windows operating system; therefore, I look for the better options. In this case, the better option is IrfanView. This program, it seems, has been around since of the beginning of time. Actually, I believe it was somewhere around 1996 when Irfanview began making its’ appearance. This program is designed to be simple; yet, can be made to be more complex by using a variety of downloadable plugins. I encourage you to give it a try.
IrfanView is a very fast, small, compact and innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) graphic viewer for Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 , 2008, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10. Also available as a full install download or portable app.
- 32 and 64 bit version
- Many supported file formats (click here the list of formats)
- Multi language support
- Thumbnail/preview option
- Paint option – to draw lines, circles, arrows, straighten image etc.
- Toolbar skins option
- Slideshow (save slideshow as EXE/SCR or burn it to CD)
- Show EXIF/IPTC/Comment text in Slideshow/Fullscreen etc.
- Support for Adobe Photoshop Filters
- Fast directory view (moving through directory)
- Batch conversion (with advanced image processing)
- Multipage TIF editing
- File search
- Email option
- Multimedia player
- Print option
- Support for embedded color profiles in JPG/TIF
- Change color depth
- Scan (batch scan) support
- Add overlay text/image (watermark)
- IPTC editing
- Effects (Sharpen, Blur, Adobe 8BF, Filter Factory, Filters Unlimited, etc.)
- Screen Capturing
- Extract icons from EXE/DLL/ICLs
- Lossless JPG rotation
- Shell Extension PlugIn
- Unicode support
- Many hotkeys
- Many command line options
- Many PlugIns
- Only one EXE-File, no DLLs, no Shareware messages like “I Agree” or “Evaluation expired”
- No registry changes without user action/permission!
- and much much more