February 8, 2018
If your getting rid of a computer or hard drive, here is an “must do” option to completely remove your personal data.
A disk wipe tool that can wipe hard drive data from any hard disk drive. Data Shredder is freeware to download! Protect your privacy and sensitive data.
Source: CBL Data Shredder
February 8, 2018
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner is a “must have” application to help keep on your computer from being infected. You will need to routinely run this software to help keep your computer in good shape.
Malwarebytes AdwCleaner is a free anti-malware app that deletes adware, PUP’s, toolbars, and browser hijackers. Video tutorial available. It specializes in removing adware, PUP/LPI (Potentially Undesirable Program), toolbars, and hijackers.
Source: Download Malwarebytes AdwCleaner – MajorGeeks
January 23, 2018
AnyBurn is a FREE CD/DVD/Blu-ray burning and imaging software is very easy to use; especially, for those who never burned CDs or DVDs. It is pretty much self-explanatory, very small in install size and is available as a portable app (for the tech toolbox). There is also an online tutorial to get you started (click here). A new version of AnyBurn was just released…
Burn all CD / DVD / Blu-ray disc image files.
Backup or add files and folders to CD, DVD, or Bluray disc
Burn Audio CD which can be played in regular CD player from mp3, m4a, ape, flac, wma files…
Rip Audio CD to MP3, FLAC, APE, WMA, WAV files.
Copy disc using sector by sector method.
Create image files from hard disk files or CD / DVD / BD discs.
Convert disc image files between various formats.
Create bootable USB drive for Windows 7, 8, 10, or Linux
Support both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows.
January 22, 2018
This blog post is for the people out there that carry a tech toolbox. If you are one of those people, then I am sure you are familiar with the Windows trace route command (tracert). The traceroute command is a computer network diagnostic tool for displaying the route (path) and measuring transit delays of packets across an Internet Protocol (IP) network.
To further enhance the use of this command I came across a FREE utility called TraceRouteOK that provides an easy to use GUI. To make TraceRouteOK portable, you will need to create in the TraceRouteOK working directory a file named TraceRouteOK.ini … Notepad can be used to create this file.
– Very small program
– Variable host name query time
– Selectable timeout for pings
– Very fast data route query
SOURCE: SoftwareOK.com -TraceRouteOK
January 17, 2018
NirLauncher is a collection of more than 200 portable utilities from NirSoft. If you are into working on and troubleshooting computers, this will be right down your alley.
Click on the screenshot to get a full-size view. See features below.
- NirLauncher can be used from USB flash drive without need of any installation.
- NirLauncher and all the utilities in the package are completely freeware, without any Spyware/Adware/Malware. This package doesn’t contain any 3-party software, toolbars, Web browser plugins, or other unwanted surprises. It will not install any software on your system and it will not change your Web browser homepage or other settings on your system.
- NirLauncher package includes variety of tools that you may need for your daily computer use, including utilities to recover lost passwords, to monitor your network, to view and extract cookies, cache, and other information stored by your Web browser, to search files in your system, and more…
- For every utility in the package, you can easily run it, view the help file, or jump to the Web page of the utility.
- When using it from USB flash drive, the configuration of every utility is saved into .cfg file on the flash drive.
- On x64 systems, NirLauncher automatically run the x64 version of the utility, when there is a separated x64 version.
- NirLauncher also allows to add more software packages in additional to the main NirSoft package.
- NirLauncher allows you generate plugin files for BartPE (Launcher -> Generate BartPE Plugin Files), so you can easily use the utilities of NirSoft from a bootable live windows CD.
Source: NirLauncher – Collection of more than 200 portable utilities from NirSoft
December 13, 2017
If you are a computer tech, this utility (called Computech Windows Tweaker) may be of interest to you. Based on what I am seeing at the Major Geeks software download site, Computech Windows Tweaker is described as a “niche utility for anyone looking to hide or show drives, disable the Firewall, USB storage, UAC, Remote RPC, Security Center, Offline Files, and Action Center temporarily. It might also be able to re-enable these, especially after a virus or malware infection”. It appears (based on the version number) it is a relatively new app; which means, this will only get better as the development progresses. Also, I downloaded and found that this is a portable app.
SOURCE: Major Geeks – Computech Windows Tweaker 184.108.40.206
November 28, 2017
Here is a portable program for the tech toolbox (or can be installed), called “Complete Internet Repair” that may be able to help you if you are experiencing any of the problems reflected below that is related to network and/or internet connectivity issues:
- Internet or network problem after removing adware, spyware, virus, worm, Trojan horse, etc.
- Loss network connection after installing/uninstalling VPN, firewall or other networking programs.
- Unable to access any website or can only access some websites.
- Pop-up error window with network related problem description.
- No network connectivity due to registry errors.
- DNS lookup problem.
- Fail to renew the network adapter’s IP address or other DHCP errors.
- Network connectivity issue with limited or no connections message.
- Windows update does not work.
- You are having problems connecting to secured websites (ex. Banking).
- Internet Explorer stopped working or crashes all the time.
- Sticky proxy server settings.
- A few other internet errors, but we will not discuss all here.
SOURCE: Rizonesoft – Complete Internet Repair